I'm still debating about whether I'm going to write out all the meals we eat or just stick with dinner, or just with things that are noteworthy, but for today I'm just going to list dinner. We had quinoa (say "keen-wa"). Something neither Jeremy nor I had ever had. I wonder how I've never had this before since talking to other people it seems like many of my friends and family eat it on a semi-regular basis. Here is the "recipe" (that I made up). I have to say it was delish.
2 cups quinoa (next time I think I'll 3 three cups because we only had enough leftovers for one of us)
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
8 or 9 button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Half a container of firm tofu, cubed into bite-size pieces (sorry I don't have the exact amount, I threw away the package) - I know tofu is an acquired taste, but I really don't mind it and I think if you chopped it up in small enough pieces in a meal like this you would hardly notice it.
Tomatoes, diced
Extra virgin olive oil
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Prepare quinoa as directed on the box. Like an idiot I didn't read until after I'd already started it on the stove top that I could've made it in my rice cooker.
Heat one T of extra virgin olive oil (evoo) in a skillet over medium heat. Saute green pepper and onion until tender or about 8 minutes put into a large bowl. If needed, add a little more evoo and saute mushrooms until they are almost soft and then and the garlic and saute together until fragrant, add to bowl with peppers and onions. Heat tofu in skillet and drizzle with soy sauce and a dash or two of sesame oil until warmed through. Mix the vegetables and tofu with the quinoa. Put diced tomatoes on top after you dish it on the plate.
We had some corn bread, too. I think a salad might have also been a good addition, but it didn't happen last night.
I think I got a little too hasty when I decided to throw the kids into this strict vegetarian diet with us. I've been thinking about how I'm going to get enough fat into them to satisfy their skinny little bodies while also cutting back on one of their favorite fat sources and I'm not quite sure how to do that yet. So I'm going to alter my goals slightly (oh boy, it's only day two and I'm already changing my goals! But like I said this is more of a journal for me than a polished blog, so you're on this journey with me). New goal - still less dairy for Moses and Ada, and high fat snack alternatives will be sought out, but we'll work on the getting the meat out of their diets more gradually, and maybe not ever entirely. In the meantime, no more chicken nuggets (sorry, little dude) or any other fried or processed meats. And yes, my kids eat and love those things. There, I said it.
I'm really being adamant about this whole dairy thing because Moses and Ada both eat SO much dairy. I admit it's my fault in a lot of ways. It's a filling and healthy snack for them (and an easy, no-hassle food for me to give to them) and I don't have to fight them over it. I'm still reading a lot and figuring out how much fat a protein and what kinds of fats and protein are best, so when I get there I'll let you know.
I rearranged a little and made a "fruit" shelf in the kitchen. Maybe I'm hoping it will jump off the shelf and into my mouth!
Tomorrow I'm making bread! I hope...
3 comments:
Just a thought, I know you want to cut the dairy from the kids diets but if you aren't planning on eliminating it completely maybe greek yogurt would be a great alternative. My oldest loves it. Its a great protien source and keeps some healthy fat in her diet. Oh and though I am in no way in any position to go vegetarian right now, I am looking forward to following your journey! Katie Polk
I'm so glad you are journaling about this Hannah! I can't wait to see how it goes. I've been wanting to have a couple of vegetarian meals each week as well. One thing I've been trying to do is using meat as an ingredient to a main dish rather than be a main dish itself... that's helped. Anyways, love your fruit shelf! I keep our fruit out too... which helps us snack on that first. Also, I buy favorites fruits so I know we'll eat them.
That's a good idea, Katie P. I think it will be impossible to totally go dairy free, I definitely need to get back into a plain yogurt and then add the healthy stuff (Moses loves those yogurt squeeze kind! Lots of sugar!) Thanks for reading!
Post a Comment