Today for lunch I dumped the pasta, sans pesto, right on top of my salad and drizzled it with dressing. A pasta salad salad (don't knock it til you try it)!
Do you want to know why we would even want to attempt a totally vegetarian diet? Ok! I'll tell you!
- Because I got "More-with-Less" by Doris Janzen Longacre for Christmas (thanks, Lis!) and it has inspired me to try to do more with grains and beans, plus the bread making I mentioned before. Which ties into the fact that
- We're on a monthly grocery budget and trying really hard to save money on food.
- I want to make healthier food choices for my family, and while I realize I don't have to become a vegetarian to do that, it's forcing me to really take a look at what we eat and why. And while
- I love eating meat, I'm not so keen on handling and preparing raw meat. This may be due in part to the fact that
- Before Moses was born we watched the documentary "Food, Inc." and to this day I cannot shop in the meat section of the grocery store without being haunted by the images and messages that film showed about cows, pigs and chickens and the conditions in which they are raised (remember the super fat chickens that couldn't even stand up because their bodies grew a millions times too fast and their legs didn't keep up?). And man
- Organic meat is so dang expensive! So
- We have talked about purchasing half of a cow or pig from a local farm, but we don't have the freezer for it and probably won't buy one in the near future. And there's no doubt that
- It's a challenge. I love a good challenge! And lastly
- I get so bored with the food we eat. I knew this would force me to try new things.
It's cold and overcast here. There's a fire in the wood stove and I'm in the mood for something a little heartier tonight. I'm off to figure out what that's going to be!
3 comments:
Love reading about the journey, and happy to have your recommendations on books & films & recipes! Miss you & wish we were neighbors!
Thanks, Ans! I wish we were neighbors, too, but so thankful for technology that keeps us updated on each other!
Awesome, Hannah! I am the opposite of you-I don't really care for meat, but I make myself eat it for two main reasons. 1. I need protein. 2. My father in law hunts everything in season, and we eat everything he gives us, and Brian's boss gets a cow every year so we get part of that too. Thank goodness for that garage fridge!
I still prefer a good veggie, grain, or legume.
Post a Comment