Dinner Friday Night: A twist on portobello burgers. Yellow squash and red onion marinated in balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and a shake of garlic salt for half a day and then sauteed. Baby bella mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (separately from the squash and onions) in extra virgin olive oil. Put on toasted whole wheat baguette and top with shredded mozzarella and stick under the broiler until it's brown and bubbly. We had baked sweet potatoes on the side. I just popped the in the microwave for about 7 minutes.
Lunch Saturday: Vegetarian Chili (no picture, sorry!)
Jeremy's deciding he's very hungry after eating vegetarian for two weeks. We're working on that. I have to laugh/roll my eyes just a little because he's suddenly mentioning meat constantly. And also because after we finished Forks Over Knives I asked Jeremy if we should try to go vegetarian until, like, Easter maybe. His response was, and I quote, "why just until Easter? Let just do it all the time!" So anyway, Jeremy made this chili and he's going to try to eat more throughout the day, not just try to stuff himself til he feels full at night.
Jeremy's deciding he's very hungry after eating vegetarian for two weeks. We're working on that. I have to laugh/roll my eyes just a little because he's suddenly mentioning meat constantly. And also because after we finished Forks Over Knives I asked Jeremy if we should try to go vegetarian until, like, Easter maybe. His response was, and I quote, "why just until Easter? Let just do it all the time!" So anyway, Jeremy made this chili and he's going to try to eat more throughout the day, not just try to stuff himself til he feels full at night.
Sunday Night: Cheese omelets, hash browns, and yogurt, blueberries and homemade granola. (again, no pic)
Monday Night: Green beans with brown rice, and vegetarian dumplings.
This dinner was a train wreck. I didn't plan far enough ahead to have the dinner made before missing their window of being hungry but not starving, and I thought maybe the dumpling casing and the added fillers in the dumplings would be trickery enough that they would look past the tofu, but I was dead wrong. It resulted in a dinner time meltdown that led right into a bath time meltdown and I guess they were on a roll because we finished the night with a bedtime meltdown. It made us once again look at what and how we're feeding the kids. What fights we want to fight, what fights we wish not to. I'll save more I have to say about that for another post.
Dinner Last Night: Pasta and sauce and homemade french deliciousness.
I love wheat bread, and try to eat and serve as much whole grain options as possible, but sometimes I'm in the mood to have a good hunk of white bread. So last night I made the Easy French Bread recipe from my "More-With-Less" cookbook. Aren't those beauteeful?

Monday Night: Green beans with brown rice, and vegetarian dumplings.
This dinner was a train wreck. I didn't plan far enough ahead to have the dinner made before missing their window of being hungry but not starving, and I thought maybe the dumpling casing and the added fillers in the dumplings would be trickery enough that they would look past the tofu, but I was dead wrong. It resulted in a dinner time meltdown that led right into a bath time meltdown and I guess they were on a roll because we finished the night with a bedtime meltdown. It made us once again look at what and how we're feeding the kids. What fights we want to fight, what fights we wish not to. I'll save more I have to say about that for another post.
Dinner Last Night: Pasta and sauce and homemade french deliciousness.
I love wheat bread, and try to eat and serve as much whole grain options as possible, but sometimes I'm in the mood to have a good hunk of white bread. So last night I made the Easy French Bread recipe from my "More-With-Less" cookbook. Aren't those beauteeful?
I'm growing in confidence with my bread making. I only had to call my mother-in-law about five times asking her what it should look like at various stages of the process (thanks, Kath!)
I was also very thankful for good advice from my friend, Wendy. She told me to keep the yeast warm and happy. That the water will probably need to be hotter than I thought it should be, and that I should warm up the bowl before putting the yeast and water in so it didn't cool down too quickly. It was obvious that I didn't kill the yeast! See? Note to self: next time use a bigger bowl!
And lastly, here's my little Ada, helping me make a salad for Jeremy before he left for work one day. She was saying "eeeeese!"
2 comments:
I'm hungry just thinking about going for two weeks without meat. lol. Have you tried making felafel? It's one of the meatier veg meals I think. Soooo good. Probably because its fried.
Your bread looks beautiful!! So how sad is it that I just realized this is your blog? I read it once before and thought it was a relative of yours. Hellllloooooo mommy brain.
Wendy
Post a Comment