Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 28 - 42 Soli Deo Gloria

I've had this post written on my Kindle since Friday. What is wrong with me that I can't come down to the computer and just hit post?! Oh well, anyway, I bet I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I totally wrote that "I'm not going to write every day" line in my last post and then I quit altogether. Well, you might not be too far off. I didn't quit, because here I am, but somewhere along there I lost momentum and motivation and it got easy to not write. But now here I am to update you on what's going on. Two weeks ago we were all sick, so that week was a total dud.  More Chili was made (remember I mentioned batch one was spicy? Well batch two was WAY spicy, must've been the jalepenos, something to consider if you plan to make this recipe for the whole family) , followed by a barley soup not unlike this one, and we ate that like, every lunch and dinner for a few days, because that's all that tasted good and that was pretty much our week. A few days some grilled cheeses and salads were made in addition to the soup. Grilled cheese on homemade bread, whether you're sick or not, is insanely amazing. 


And then Friday we cheated. We were sick of soup but still wanted something mild and I just wanted some dang chicken. There I said it. So we ordered Chinese food. You know when you don't have something for a long time and then when you do have it it's not as good? Well that didn't happen with this meal, it tasted so good to us. Mm, chicken and mixed vegetables, white - no nutritional value whatsoever - rice, pork dumplings... Mmmm... whoa, sorry, where was I?  Oh yeah, vegetarian food... we've been back on track since then. 



Saturday night I made a pizza with a new crust. It was hearty and filling. I don't have any white whole wheat flour so I used regular whole wheat. Not as good as white crust, but still good all the same.
On Monday we were all starting to feel a bit better and I considered blogging about last week, but decided the house could use a good scrub down after being germ infested and that Tuesday I would blog. But when I sat down to blot on Tuesday our keyboard and mouse decided to crap out on me... no blogging for me that day.
Then on Tuesday we had small group. We talked about lent and fasting from something in order to use that sacrifice as a time of spiritual reflection, a time to be thoughtful and thankful for the sacrifice Jesus made for us on the cross. Afterwards Jeremy challenged me on my motivation for fasting from meat "for lent" saying it was only because we watched that documentary and got all fired up and not for spiritual growth and reflection. And he was probably right. It's funny, I had it in my mind at one point last week to write about being productive, then all that went down the toilet with the fact that I was completely unproductive for entire four day weekend. Then I was going to talk about good habits I'm developing through this process, and talk about that dinner that I made at lunchtime so we could have a good meal on a busy night with the kitchen cleaned up for the next day, and aren't I so clever and on top of things, but then the next night happened and I tried to make bread while I made dinner and I got myself in the weeds so bad that the family ate without me and in the morning my kitchen was a disaster. So what it comes down to is I'm trying and working hard, but I do not always have it together. That fact that none of these posts came to fruition is an indication to me that maybe they weren't supposed to. Until now I've made this "journey" all about me and what I've been doing, but it's really not about that at all. I am so thankful for the cross of Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he gave. I'm still going to keep my original goals for this project, but I'm going to add one more, at the top. I aim to be reminded of the gift God gave us when he sent his son to die for our sins (for yours and mine), and I pray that things I do will not point to me and what I've done, but that they will point to Jesus and honor Him. I know, it's deep for a blog about bread and textured vegetable protein, but it's important. Too important not to mention. Soli Deo gloria - glory to God alone.

No comments: