I really want to post this recipe for you guys because it's so good, and so easy, but I did a little research on recipe posting on blogs and it's not technically legal. I could do a little tricky changes to make it legal, but that doesn't feel right. I can, however, link to recipes I've found online. I'll continue to let you know what we're eating, and try to find a balance between using cookbooks and online recipes (something that's been happening naturally anyway).
Up until about a year ago a took a break from eating eggs - a seven year break. Sometime soon after I finished college I was getting migraines once a month at the least and sometimes up to three times in one week. They were horrible and would completely put me out of commission for a solid 3-4 hours or more. During that time I began to track triggers of my migraines including what I ate and drank in the days leading up to the migraine, and how much sleep I was getting. I also took note of what stage of my menstrual cycle I was in (sorry guys if that's TMI). I also tried to remember back if anything stood out from past migraines.
Thinking back I remembered the first migraine I had ever had, I was probably 11ish. We were on vacation in Grand Haven, Michigan (sidenote: best place ever) and I ate under cooked french toast. The memory is so vivid to me to this day. I remember it seeming kind of under cooked and eating it anyway, the next thing I remember was being so miserably sick to my stomach and throwing up in the Meijer parking lot, followed by sleeping for the rest of the afternoon at the beach under the umbrella and wanting to die my head hurt so badly. I then tracked other instances then where the same thing was true, first eggs, then migraine. After my last migraine because of eggs I swore them off. If you get migraines you know it's just not worth it. But I missed eating them so much, breakfast is just kind of lame without eggs as an option, especially when trying to choose something from a breakfast menu.
In my mind from all the times I'd had a migraine because I'd had eggs I thought that it was because they were under cooked, but I wasn't completely sure if that was true, and because I wasn't sure I was still very nervous to eat anything egg based. After a while (a very long while) I decided to eat french toast from our favorite deli in Germantown, MD (shout out to Woodside!) and order it well, well done. I ate it and I didn't get a migraine! So I ordered them several times after that with the same result. But I still was skeptical and never ate any other form of eggs. Then one day last year I just couldn't take it anymore, I figured french toast was really just bread dipped in eggs, so maybe I could eat regular eggs as long as they were cooked well. I waited for a Saturday when Jeremy was home. I know it sounds crazy, but I am unfit to care for my children when I have a migraine and didn't want to risk being home alone with them. We made scrambled eggs for breakfast, I made sure he cooked them almost until they were rubber and I didn't get a migraine. So now I'm back eating eggs again, well done, and aside from one unfortunate incident (I should have known better than to use a microwave egg poacher), I haven't had any migraines from eggs.
The lesson I learned was that they have to be well done (but thankfully not rubber as I've learned after becoming a teeny bit more brave and eating them cooking, but not over cooked). After thinking back on my bad egg experiences that included that first awful french toast, many egg sandwiches and a meringue (I spelled that right in one try without using spell check, thank you very much!) cooking fiasco that was so bad I can't even get into it, it all finally made sense.
Because I know my triggers now I get migraines very infrequently, maybe every six months or so. Did you want to know what my other triggers are? Here's a list.
- Not eating breakfast soon enough after waking up.
- Not drinking enough water. I drank a lot of coke (and beer) and I drank almost no water in college. Gee, I wonder why I keep getting these headaches?
- The let down after a super stressful week or event.
- Overheating - especially when I'm dehydrated or haven't eaten in a long time.
- Having low blood sugar and letting it go on too long without eating something, which probably explains the breakfast thing.
- Aspartame - the stuff in artificial sweetner.
- Not getting enough sleep.
- Sometimes hormonal changes, it seems, but these are harder to detect and they don't seem to be an issue for me right now. I was on a birth control pill that gave a low, medium and then high dose of hormones and that was definitely a trigger.
- Often the combination of two triggers, like not enough sleep and being dehydrated can cause me to have a migraine.
I decided to post the pictures at the end so that they would make more sense.
I took this one before it was totally done because it was looking so very beautiful.
This was after it had been under the broiler and the top was set, but after cutting into it was still a little too "makes me nervous" runny.
This time it was perfect, browned on the outside, still soft and yellow in the middle.
No comments:
Post a Comment