Tonight for Dinner: It was a perfect day for more soup (something not unlike this moroccan lentil soup, but I just threw all of my ingredients in the crock pot this morning). We had our with a dollop of plain greek yogurt.
I also made Naan bread. Jeremy and I love it with a soup like this one, or chick peas with a buttery curry sauce (and of course more greek yogurt! Or if I'm feeling super fancy, tzatziki sauce) I don't buy naan bread too often, though, because it is stupidly expensive for the amount you get.
I got a little nervous after I mixed the dry and wet ingredients together because the dough was really cold, but the recipe didn't call for heating up the liquids, except for melting the butter, and I've made a rule that I follow a recipe (especially a baking recipe) exactly as it calls for the first time. It rose, but it took the entire hour and a half the recipe recommended, and it didn't rise the way my bread dough rises, quick and bubbly and springy. It was much more subtle and slow and discreet, I didn't really have the impression that it was "double in bulk". But it was getting late and I wanted to eat together so I decided it had risen enough, as soon as I took the dough out of the bowl I knew it was going to be ok. It felt airy and light, it stretch easily, but not too easily and once I put it on the griddle it did its magic.
This is a horrible picture, I debated not posting it, but I figure you aren't reading my blog for my amazing photography skills.
I loved that you cooked this on a griddle; it was super quick and easy. (side note: the recipe says the griddle should be on high, but my first piece was burnt on the outside and doughy in the middle so I ended up doing the rest on medium heat)
Ada wasn't thrilled about the bread, but after a little bit of reluctance and examination, Moses ate a piece and liked it! When I asked him what it reminded him of he said "a cookie... and a chip... and a cracker". I thought it was just darn tasty. Chewy and crunchy, perfect for dipping in olive oil or scooping up soup. It's a keeper!
Tomorrow I'm going to make granola, and at some point this week I hope to make playdough with Moses (but not for eating, of course).
What are you cooking up in your kitchen this week? I'd love to hear about it!
3 comments:
Hannah,
I made 2 homemade pizzas tonight with a little of the kids' help: pepperoni (I know it's not vegetarian) and spinach alfredo. If you like alfredo sauce, go for it! It's Sharon's favorite kind of pizza, since she doesn't really get excited about the tomato sauce pizza. I'll send you my alfredo sauce recipe if you're interested.
Christine Brinson
you've inspired me today ... naan and granola are two of our favorite things, and i'd much rather attempt to make them than to continue to pay through the nose for the stuff in the natural food aisle. have you found any recipes for gluten free naan? i've been reading about the connection between gluten and migraines and allergies (marc suffers both quite sincerely) and am thinking about going gf for a month or two to see if that helps.
Christine, I just saw your comment, I'd love the Alfredo recipe, thanks! What crust recipe did you use?
Michele, I know, right? It's like $4 for a bag full of air. I accidentally replied to you in the post above. I know a lot of gluten free peeps. I'm going to ask around.
Post a Comment