It's a Barn Star. German farmers would often mount a large star-shaped decoration onto their barns. Its significance varied. Some farmers considered the stars good luck, like a horseshoe hung above a doorway; while others viewed it as simply aesthetic and pleasing to the eye. Many barn stars, unique in their appearance, represented the trademark of the builder who constructed the barn.The tradition of the barn star in America can be traced back to the 1700’s, and to at least the 1870’s in Pennsylvania. Barn stars were most popular after the Civil War.
The present-day Barn Star, now popular on (or in our case in) homes of every size and shape, has come to mean an outward sign of good luck and good fortune! Not that we believe in luck, but the history part is pretty cool.
6 comments:
dude! im in baltimore, i dont have your number. call me:
714.745.3700.
luck rules!
We think the star looks great, and we loved the background info. -Mom & Dad H.
I am so excited that I got to see the star!!! YES!
Not only did Kim Jong Il give up his nukes, but it seems he turned over his collection of Red Stars to certian dealers in rural VA. Excellent find, and a rare gem I must say.
I'm afraid that after he gave us his star, he asked for it back saying that he would not give it to us unless we gave him a light water nuclear reactor. We're still in negotiations....
Post a Comment