Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 63 - I went back and counted

We quit. 


Ok, not really, but we have been cheating a little here and there. Because, I'll tell you what, it's been hard. Two weeks ago we had a great week and I was on top of things and planning ahead and generally enjoying the fact that it was getting easier to not eat any meat at all. Then we had company visit, and eating vegetarian when there other people are enjoying things not vegetarian is hard (not your fault, Dan and Kathy, we're just weak willed!). We also were all sick at one point or another within the last month and eating vegetarian when we're sick has proven difficult for us, too. 


I really should go grocery shopping today, but I have no meals planned yet, and I know that that will only add to my frustration and lack of motivation, so I'm going to spend time this afternoon planning some meals. 


Alright, I'm done being a downer. I do have two things to share with you that I managed to accomplish last week. 

First, I organized the shelves in my kitchen. Jeremy laughs at me because I'm always "re-organizing" the shelves and he can't really notice a difference, but they are different! Even if no one can tell but me. 





The second thing (that I store on my newly organized shelves) is homemade granola. We eat ours with plain yogurt or greek yogurt and honey, and blueberries or strawberries, but my favorite way is to eat it is dry in a bowl with some chocolate chips and a cup of coffee in the afternoon. 


I started with a recipe from my More-with-Less cookbook, but have since changed it to where it only barely resembles the original recipe, so I'm going to share it with you. 




Hannah's Super Simple Granola


Preheat oven to 250 degrees.


Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
6 c rolled oats
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 c wheat bran
1/2 c sliced almonds (optional)


Blend together separately
1/2 c water
1 c vegetable oil
1/2 honey
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 t vanilla
2 t salt


Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are covered. Pour into a baking dish (I use my roasting pan because it's got a lot of surface area). Then use that back of a wooden spoon to press the granola into the pan firmly. Bake at 250 degree for 1 - 1 1/2 hours stirring once after about 1 hour (if you want nice big crunchy nuggets don't stir it too much!) until dry, golden and crunchy. 

3 comments:

amybeth said...

I've been looking for a simple granola recipe! Thanks!

Hannah said...

Amy - enjoy, it really is delicious!

Michele - I haven't, but have many friends that are gluten free. I'll ask around.

Hannah said...

Amy - enjoy, it really is delicious!

Michele - I haven't, but have many friends that are gluten free. I'll ask around.