Thursday, November 20, 2008

How to Make Baby Food

Ever since my mom told me she made her own baby food for my brother and I I knew I wanted to do the same for my kids. Maybe Moses will be the only one that gets the homemade goodness, but I have the time and so I figure I might as well. It's actually pretty fun to do. I'm especially glad to know exactly what he's eating and how it was prepared. Plus, baby food vegetables in jars are nasty colors... why is that? So here's how it's done:


1. Peel and cut desire vegetables (here it's carrots, parsnip and sweet potatoes).






2. Steam vegetable until tender (see the steam? I thought it was cool my camera picked that up).







3. Put in food "pro" with a little of the steaming liquid and a pat of butter (the butter helps the body absorb nutrients, and makes it tasty).









4. Puree to desired consistency (in this case, extra smooth).












5. Scoop out into ice cube or baby food trays. My ice cube tray hold about 1 Tablespoon, which makes it easy to know how much he's
eating.





6. Cover. I'm considering getting the baby food freezer trays now because they come with a lid, and I'm going through a lot of cling wrap and foil.






6. Freeze.








I guess I should have a picture of the finished product. I'll work on that.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I definitely want to do this when we have kiddos! I love it!