Dear Moses,Happy Birthday! You did it, kid! You're one! It was a great weekend, really, I don't think it could have gone any better. Grandma and Grandpa Wright arrived on Wednesday afternoon. Because they don't see you very often I was unsure how would respond to them at first. But you made Grandpa's day when you reached for him the moment they walked in the door. And every day after that went pretty darn good. Don't get me wrong, you are a baby, and what's a day in a baby's life without some crankies and a little crying, but overall I was very impressed with your "big boy" attitude.
You spent the weekend playing and having fun, completely oblivious to the fact that the whole weekend was about you. You tried new things like water with lime and chocolate animal crackers (thanks to your Grandmas). You're not walking yet, but you practiced standing, balancing and cruising along the side of the couch. You were so excited when your friends arrived for your party; you were an excellent host. Your friend Amanda helped you open your gifts and you played happily with whatever was handed to you. Maybe it was because it was hot and humid, almost nap time and a total overstimulating situation, but you wanted nothing to do with your birthday cake.
On Sunday, May 10th, your real birthday, we had you baptized at church. This is something we know is controversial in Christian circles, but we decided it was what we wanted to do for you. In a sense, it's like a dedication for you, a representation of our commitment to raising you in the church, the church's commitment to helping us raise you and a symbol of God's covenant promise to believers that you will also be a follower of Christ someday. We don't believe in any way that it's salvation for you. It's "not the Holy Spirit on tap," as our pastor puts it.
(blog readers: pictures of the weekend are here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=78553&id=668608310&l=de3925a9e5)
Let me tell you a story about the weekend before your birthday. I was spending time at Grandma and Grandpa Hackenberg's while Daddy was away with some friends for the weekend. You and I were playing together on the living room floor, you would stand for a few seconds and then fall into my arms. Well, one of the times, instead of falling forward you fell backwards. It happened too quickly for me to catch you and you hit your head on the base of the couch. You had instant tears and I felt terrible because I was unable to stop it from happening.
This weekend you are going to take your first road trip and spend your first overnight without Mom and Dad (we're headed up to Messiah College for Josh's graduation and then sending you home with Grandma and Grandpa Hackenberg while Dad and I go to Philly for a wedding). I've been having a lot of anxiety about this weekend. I have no doubts that Grandma and Grandpa Hackenberg are capable of caring for you. In fact, I should be more worried about them spoiling you :) It's more about me not being in control. When I talked to Grandma and Grandpa Wright and Daddy about this last weekend they were quick to remind me that I was never in control. I'm realizing that things are going to happen in your life that will be out of my control, whether I'm there or not. Just like when you fell and hit your head, you will get hurt and I won't be able to prevent it. Sometimes it may even be my fault. I know that God is in control though, and that He will protect you. And I trust that there are people in your life that love you and will do everything to protect you, too.
So, here is my promise to you, I will do everything in my power to keep you safe. I will protect you when I can. I will recognize that your life is not in my control and I will pray for your safety and trust that God has you in His control. I will put my trust in other people that love you and will allow them to take care of you. That's not to say I want to shelter you, though. I want you to learn in a healthy way from the circumstances life presents to you.
I love you, Moses. With all my heart,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment